What is the difference between NFC and RFID?
NFC is a subset of RFID which uses proximity with a one way communication to the reader. The reader is generally a mobile device. NFC has a distance of 10 centimeters or less hence the name near field communication. NFC is an ideal application for the last mile of the supply chain. Because it has to be scanned in close proximity and requires line of sight the information on the NFC Label can not be captured from a distance. To Learn more about RFID and NFC read our blog article titled Difference between RFID and NFC.
NFC labels are not a new concept by any means. NFC has been around and in use for decades. The most common use for NFC is mobile payments and transportation passes. The technology has been proven to be safe and secure allowing hundreds millions of dollars of transaction to occur every year without the threat of theft.
In the packaging world NFC is the most secure and consumer friendly type of end to end communication for smart packaging in the market. With advancements in both microprocessing chips the brains of the NFC label and software, NFC has become the ultimate go to smart packing for the last mile of the supply chain. Couple the security aspect to the ease of use and the readily available readers IE. mobile devices with ability to communicate with consumers and patients with or without a mobile application. NFC makes the perfect smart packaging option for authentication, consumer engagement, patient adherence, medication education, tamper evidence, improving health outcomes and more…..
If you want to learn more about NFC packaging solutions please contact a packaging specialist or explore or NFC Solutions.
Proven NFC use cases
More About Barcodes
Tamper evident labels or Tamper resistance labels are the first layer of protection to a package. Tamper evident labels can be designed from a large array of substrates and combined with a layered approach of brand security, combining more than one security feature to strength the packages protection.
- Carton Seals indicate if a product has been tampered with by leaving behind a void message, label material, or noticeably damaging the packaging.
- Tamper Evident Shrink void an be produced in a full graphic body shrink integrating this security feature into an ascetically pleasing package or be used as tamper evident bands for bottles.
- Void Labels identifies a compromised item by leaving a message on both the label and item that it is adhered to. The label can be printed with custom messages, logos, or images which provides additional security
Trust CCL for you Smart Packaging
- Over 30 cGMP manufacturing facilities globally
- 2mL sized Integrated RFID labels enabling the fastest packaging line speeds with the lowest financial impact
- The most rigorous RFID inspection on the market, yielding a verified 99.9% operable labels at shipment.
- Over 1 million dollars new RFID investment in September 2020 with installation Q2 2021
- Strong relationships with inlay and equipment manufactures to able to customize at the product level or machinery level
- Ability to use current adhesive of an existing label specs
- 17 years of experience converting RFID tags
- RFID encoding
- Encoding with matching serialized 2d barcode